Sunday, December 9, 2007

How today (Sun 9/12/07) went

Refer to previous blog post re. my itinerary for today.

Sunday School Break-up Party went well. All the classes did their skits/performances well, & it was heartening to see. There was some rushed, last minute running around the place as each SS class tried to sort out their skit costumes & props out. But thank God it all went well. The skits was followed by prize-giving, which went normally as expected.

Work's Xmas function at Booroodabin Bowls Club in Newstead was ok. I won't say there was anything really to write home about. And I say that with no disrespect to those who organised it - it's only because I'm not that keen at lawn bowls club & it was so hot. Nevertheless, I thought I'd still give it a go & braved myself in the baking sun. I had lots of drinks (it was on the tab - I mainly had lemon lime bitters) to hydrate myself. Me & a few colleague didn't take the bowls seriously, yet I think overall I definitely bowled better than I did at Winston's Bucks Day!

Then, after resting at home for a while, it was out again for Qld Roar v Central Coast Mariners. The game was ok, with some good end-to-end action, although certain moments of the match descended into mediocrity. Qld certainly played better than they did previously against Newcastle Jets. Qld had to come from behind to win 2-1, & overall, I'm happier with the result than the performance. Qld started the game sluggishly & remained so up until they conceded the goal in the 11th or 12th minute. They then rouse themselves out of their slumber & did well to get 2 goals to give themselves a lead which they took to half-time, & didn't relinquish thereafter. They showed character & fighting spirit to not only fight back from a goal down, but also to show overall general improvement from the previous week's match.

Improve they did, but overall there were still some aspects of Qld's game which need refinement. The forward line's finishing power is still inadequate, in my opinion. Decision-making is still not great at times, & each bad decision-making (such as making a poor/inaccurate final pass) was greeted by sighs from the crowd. And one thing I didn't like was the fact that Qld gave away too many free-kicks to the Mariners. On another day, Qld could have been punished.

It's not that I want to sound like a grumpy, hard-to-please fan. But it's my honest reflections, & I have to be sufficiently objective to tell it as it is. As opposed to being completely one-eyed & get carried away with the win & think everything's going to be plain sailing. No way! The next few weeks in the A-League will certainly not be plain sailing. It is hoped that Qld can step up their game further, show better finishing & shooting, while maintaining the character & fighting spirit shown against the Mariners. They will be alright if they can do that.

After the game, we had a bite at the McDonalds outside the stadium. I practically had my dinner at the stadium just before the match started. McDonalds after the match was my second dinner instalment. Haha. I'm so tired now, so I think I'm off to bed shortly after this post.


No comments: