Sunday, November 4, 2007

WW's Bucks Day & Night (3/11/07)

This past Saturday, a number of guys from Clay spent some time (male bonding, so to speak) with WW, just a couple of weeks before he "officially surrenders" his singlehood. WW's Bucks Day & Night was divided into 4 programs: lunch & lawn bowls at Sunnybank Bowls Club, zorbing at Zorb in Pimpama, Korean BBQ dinner at Sunnybank Seoul BBQ, & poker at Nigel's place (he's the best man). Not everyone (me included) got involved in all 4 of the programs.

Lunch at lawn bowls club was rather quick - burgers & chips (BT & Steve N had to grab McDonalds because they didn't RSVP for lunch at lawn bowls). This was followed by lawn bowls, where we were guided by one of the guys at the club. It was fun. Not because I particularly liked it. But fun in the sense that the guys enjoyed it, & fun in the sense that I managed to "entertain" the rest of the guys with a magnificent display of lawn bowling ineptitude, LOL. Some of my bowling was just woeful, that I was the worst performer by some distance! But hey, it was all good, & great to have some fun & laughs. I jokingly used the pint of beer I consumed during lunch as an excuse for my ineptitude. I could have also cited the heat or the "distractive presence" of the other patrons. Hehe. But the simple truth is, it's just not my game. For me, it's a fuddy-duddy's game.

Then off I went to attend a Sunday School Teachers' Meeting - which meant I missed out on the zorbing at Pimpama (some of the others also didn't attend zorbing). I was a tad late for the meeting, as I left the bowls club a tad later than I intended, dropping off BT & Steve N along the way. At the meeting, we discussed our plans for the last few Sunday School lessons for this year as well as the upcoming Sunday School Break-up Party/Prize-Giving.

After that, I headed back Southside to have the Korean BBQ dinner with some of the guys who returned from the zorbing - WW, Nigel, Terence & Sean. Kwang (who also was not at the zorbing) then joined us, so it was a party of 6 guys. I really liked the dinner; I don't often have Korean BBQ - last one I could remember was quite a while ago, at a Korean & Japanese place at Fortitude Valley. The food at the Sunnybank place was pretty good, though some of the meat provided were dry & not in particularly large portions (whereas the meat at that Fortitude Valley place were larger & not as dry). For that reason, the meal didn't seem completely filling. But anyway, it was good. After we had our meal, the 6 of us all chatted about all the nice food (including hawkers food) in Malaysia & Singapore. WW remarked (jokingly perhaps) that all that talk about food was making him hungry (he's not the only one). Shortly after, we departed.

Then we headed to Nigel's place for poker. We were later joined by Ed (who was not with us during any of the earlier Bucks' programs) & then Wong (who did come to the lunch & lawn bowls). We played 2 games. I didn't fare particularly well in either games - came second last in first game & third last in the second. First game, if I recalled correctly, Nigel & Ed called a truce/draw. Second game, the final 2 were Sean & WW & there were so many chips on the table, it was hard to tell who won if there was a winner (I thought either WW did or it was a draw, but WW later said Sean won). Anyway, the "funny" thing was Nigel made a rule where WW had to consume a glass of water if he did or say certain things (e.g. say "yes" or "no", or nodded) - effectively water torture. And some of the guys tried to get WW to do those things to get him to drink. WW only fell for the trick a handful of times.

Nigel then did all the necessary connections (with laptop & TV) for us to catch the English Premier League match between Arsenal & Manchester United, live (it was a lunchtime kick-off in the UK). I had been keenly anticipating this match all the while, & I might cite this as an excuse for not excelling in the nite's poker games as I was thinking about the game while playing poker & the guys might have noticed me being a bit "out of it" (goodness, I sound like a "master of excuses"). The final score was 2-2, with the home team Arsenal twice coming from behind - Arsenal's second equaliser happened in injury time. Me, Nigel & Terence, being the most football-crazy among the guys present, watched the game while the other guys went to the other room to play fuss-ball. All 3 of us were supporting Arsenal (Nigel's dad also watched; he was going for Man Utd). We looked on in disdain each time Man Utd scored, & cheered heartily with high-fives each time Arsenal equalised. Well before the game finished, the other guys (including WW) had departed. So me & Terence were the last to leave.

All in all, it was an eventful & very enjoyable day. I'm very happy for WW with his big day coming up & all that. May God bless that day, WW & his wife-to-be ES.

PS: Oh & yes, the pics are up on my Multiply blog. Go have a look.


No comments: