Sunday, November 18, 2007

Winston & Eilen's wedding, 17/11/07

Something really exciting happened on Saturday. A couple of friends from church & Bible study group, Winston & Eilen, tied the knot. It really was a fantastic day. One thing that's different from other weddings is that it was raining at the start, on the way to the church. I can't remember rain ever occurring on any previous wedding I have attended. But not even the rain could dampen my spirits. And in any case, the pouring did stop by the time the ceremony began. I'm very very happy for both Winston & Eilen - one lovely Christian brother & one lovely Christian sister, united in Christ in front of a large audience. Also adding to the marvellous day is the fact that the best man at the wedding, Nigel, happens to be a very very close friend of mine.

The wedding started with the best man entering the church, followed by Winston, then the maid of honour (Eilen's sister Chloe), & finally Eilen accompanied by her dad. They literally marched! Especially NC, he marched like a robot. I was seated near the pathway where they came in, & I did all I could to stifle my laugh. It's different from other weddings where the groom & his best man/men wait for the bride & the bridal party to enter.

Then the ceremony began. I remember seeing how Winston & Eilen sang so joyfully & heartily during the singing. The wedding sermon was given by an ex-YFer who is now involved in university ministry, Bill Colyer. Bill's sermon, if I heard it correctly, touched on how Christian weddings mirror the great wedding that await God's people in heaven, when we see Jesus again. Hmmm, something like that. But u get the idea.

Anyway, The ceremony (u know....exchanging of ring, kisses, pronouncement of Winston & Eilen as married couple) was then followed by group photos. And my goodness, some of the groups were so huge, it was a struggle to fit those large groups in.
Then, we had reception lunch at the hall. The best man ran the show well, though I may be a bit biased in saying that (as mentioned earlier, he's a real close buddy). Firstly, he conducted the trivia quiz, ably aided by Phuong (his partner) & Alice. He handpicked a few people from the audience for the trivia quiz. Me & my friends (Ivan, Terence & Catherine) were not far behind him, & bolted out before he could pick any of us for the trivia quiz. Then, Nigel gave a nice best man's speech. Funnily enough for me & my brother BT, Nigel mentioned "Nebuchadnezzar" in the speech, as he & BT talked about it the night before.

All in all, it was a wonderful day. A great day for the newlyweds, a great day for the family, relatives & friends who witnessed the union. And I personally got to catch up with some friends, including Sherin (only seen her 1-2 times this year) & Ivan (now in Sydney, but came up for the wedding). I trust that God will richly bless Winston & Eilen's future.

Later on, some of us who attended the wedding had dinner together at Yahoo Restaurant in Sunnybank Hills, & then hung out at Sean's place. So that really made Saturday 17/11/07 a great great day for me. And I'm sure many others would feel the same way, too.




































No comments: