Thursday, November 29, 2007

A couple of interesting quotes

My work colleague & team mate emailed a couple of interesting quotes these past couple of days.

Here's one:


The most difficult secret for a man to keep is his own opinion of himself. Marcel Pagnol

My first reaction after reading that quote was to ask my colleague: "That quote was meant for me, wasn't it?" He said no, though another team mate later said it was! Pfffhhh.....

I suppose that quote alludes to people having too high an opinion of themselves. When I read that quote, I think of the verse Matthew 23:12: For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

Here's another quote:

Envy is the most stupid of vices, for there is no single advantage to be gained from it. Honore de Balzac

True indeed. If only I find it easier not to envy, for there have been times where I am envious of others with what they got - their possessions, their achievements, their status. I should focus on what I do have & be thankful to God for that. Job 5:2 says: Resentment kills a fool, & envy slays the simple.

I dunno where he gets them, but I look forward to receiving more quotes from my colleague. You might see some of them on this blog ;)


No comments: