Wednesday, November 28, 2007

My take on "7 Foods to Keep You Young"

That "7 Foods to Keep You Young" article was pretty interesting, I thought - which is why I blogged it ;)
So I thought I'd comment a bit on it, partly in view of the comment that my friend posted. Excuse any ignorance or silliness that I may display in my comments!

To make things a bit more "weird & wonderful", I'd also give a "frequency of consumption" rating out of 10 for each of the foods, just to give some idea of how frequent I currently consume these foods (of course, ratings may change in the future, depending on my food intake).
As you will see, the 3 that I consume most regularly out of the group would be fish, chocolate & yoghurt.

Olive oil:
My olive oil consumption is almost negligible. Not because I don't like olive oil. It's just that it never crossed my mind to actively seek out anything with olive oil. That might change - perhaps it's time to up my consumption of Mediterranean cuisine? Then again, some of the food that I eat out might have olive oil content without me knowing it.
Frequency of consumption: 1/10

Yoghurt:
Yes, I like yoghurt. I used to consume yoghurt more regularly than I do now. And it's always the ones in containers with fruit. I prefer yoghurt with tropical fruit to yoghurt with berries. Now that we're on this topic, I suddenly feel like some yoghurt. So, guess what will be going into the basket when I go to the shops in a few days time?!!
Frequency of consumption: 6/10

Fish:
The article doesn't specify what type of fish or how the fish should be cooked. Perhaps it is fish in general that keeps us young. Hmm, dunno. Anyhow, I consume fish a few times a week, whether boiled, steamed or fried. And that does not count fish & chip takeaway!
Frequency of consumption: 8/10

Chocolate:
The article doesn't say what type of chocolate would be more conducive to keeping us young. Could it be be dark chocs? Possibly, because the article mentioned "cocoa". If I hear correctly, dark chocs contain more cocoa than milk chocs or white chocs. And also,
I hear that dark chocs are better for your health than milk chocs or white chocs. I used to consume chocs every day, because social club at work used to sell snack-sized chocs (Mars, Snickers etc), & I'd be notorious at work for my choc consumption. Social club stopped selling snacks months ago, but all that could be back very soon. Woo hoo!
Frequency of consumption: 7/10 (would have been 10/10 when social club sold all those chocs!)

Nuts:
Article doesn't specify what sort of nuts are good for keeping us young. Off & on, I would eat salt-dried peanuts that I get from the Asian grocery shops (e.g. Formosa Asian Market, Yuen's Market). That's pretty much it. Otherwise, the other nuts I consume would be the almonds in the chicken & almond dish, or the nuts that go with chocolates.
Frequency of consumption: 5/10

Wine:
I don't drink wine that often. I tend to drink wine on certain occasions like wedding receptions or parties. I definitely drink beer more regularly. Oh, speaking of wine, I still haven't opened that bottle of Riccadonna (Italian red wine) that I got as a Secret Santa present last year. That might happen this Christmas.
Frequency of consumption: 3/10

Blueberries:
I eat fruits regularly. But that doesn't include blueberries. I can't remember the last time I ate blueberries on its own. I can only remember taking blueberry jam, but that doesn't really count, does it?
Frequency of consumption: 1.5/10


Addendum 30/11/2007:- I should also mention that the ratings given do not represent consumption every 10-day period. So for example, 3/10 for wine doesn't mean I only drink wine 3 times/3 days every 10 days. The ratings are indicative & meant for guidance only.


No comments: