Sunday, April 1, 2007

The wedding day (part 1 of 2) - mad scramble

Saturday, 31 March 2007, was a significant day for my family - my dearest sister got married to one Andrew Young (NZ born Asian dude). So she moves from Miss Valerie Tan to Mrs Valerie Young (but always remember your Tan roots, sister!). Val & Andrew have been together for some 3 years, & thanks to the Lord, 2 became 1 on Saturday. Of course, needless to say, I'm very very happy for them. I love Val to bits like a big brother would his little sister, especially if she's the only sister he's got.


While there were no disasters, the lead-up to the wedding ceremony wasn't totally "smooth sailing". It was a real scramble (maybe it’s just me making heavy weather of everything):


--] Sleep was interrupted every couple of hours - kept waking up & then doze off again; turned out Alice also had "trouble" with her sleep in Val's room (with Val & Fat).
--] My brother Brendan & myself did the flower collection after breakfast, but were held up at the Rocklea Markets by flower miscalculation - florists were a couple of wrist corsages short, so we had to wait for them to be done up (I was flustered).
--] After rounding up all my wedding gear, I waited for the lunch to arrive (relatives were bringing some Malaysian noodles & cakes/delicacies). And waited. And waited. Approaching 11:30am, the food still haven't arrived. Wedding ceremony would start at 1pm, I had to be at church say 12:15pm to 12:30pm to give the flowers to the Young family & usher with Mikey & Rachel, yet lunch is not here yet, & I'm not even changed & haven't shaved! (flustered again)
--] Then, people started arriving to our home: Val (hair done up), the bridesmaids (Fat & Alice), the photographers, Mum (hair done up at different place). Relatives from Malaysia (Dad's side) staying with Uncle Paul & Aunty Daisy arrived, together with all those food (Dad got some Eagle Boys pizza). Relatives from Perth (Mum's side) were already at our place.
--] I hastily changed & shaved.^^ Lunch started just before 11:45am - just a bit over 1 hour before ceremony starts! I rushed through lunch - food's so delicious, but I couldn't stay on & pig out. So a few minutes after 12pm, BT drove myself & Mum to St Andrews Church, South Brisbane.

At church, I had more anxiety, this time with handing out the flowers while at the same time trying to carry out ushering. I can't recognise the Young family members save Andrew's parents, & I struggled to keep up with who's getting what (luckily, I got help). Keiyeng kindly helped me pin my corsage. Funny how stressed I was, & as some pointed out to their amusement, it wasn't even my wedding!! The wedding man himself appeared very calm; so was Val when I saw her at home. Yet, here I am doing all the worrying. I'm not really a worrier by nature - it's just that I wanted the best for Val & Andrew.

At least some complimented my appearance - one friend even said it looked like I was the one getting married (guess I did well, considering the rushed change of clothes at home). Also, thank God that fellow ushers Mikey & Rachel did a great job, & likewise the greeters Melina & Thu. Thank God also for everyone else who helped out (Mikey later modestly downplayed his contribution - Mikey, u da man, big up for your help).


Then, Val & the bridesmaids arrived in a Rolls Royce (kindly driven by Uncle Philip Oh). I was outside taking pictures of their arrival & made way to my seat, just before the bridesmaids entered. Then, Dad walked Val down the aisle. The ceremony is underway!

^^ Some point during the changing, someone saw me without pants, only for a split second - I tried to sneak between bathroom & bedroom thinking no one would see, but I was wrong. To quote the Greek lady from the 90s show Acropolis Now, "How embarassment".




No comments: