Monday, April 16, 2007

Table tennis....again

After yesterday's church service, a bunch of us had lunch at the foodcourt in Toowong Village. We chose to eat there, partly for convenience & partly because Pastor Steve's away - had he been around, he would probably have vetoed Toowong foodcourt as it's not his favourite place.

Anyway, towards the end of the lunch, I mentioned to a few people about the upcoming inter-congregational table-tennis tournament that our church will be holding in July. I first heard about this during Saturday afternoon's meeting of Sunday School teachers. Upon hearing me, some of us were up for some table tennis, so we headed over to CCCB Coopers Plains after lunch to play table tennis. Unfortunately, Yuan couldn't make it. I look forward to some rallies with Yuan in the near future, as I heard he's pretty "hardcore" with ping pong. I already had some good ones with Winston last month, when I was last at CCCB Coopers Plains.

Anyway, it was just me, BT & Joyce who headed for the ping pong (J's back in Brisbane from Sydney for a few weeks, then heading overseas for a short stint). I tried to get Sandra to join us, but she could only come a little later. So we initially played among us 3, before Murray (a YFer) & his friend Jack joined us. Then it was down to just me playing singles with Jack. Then later, another dude who attends CCCB Coopers Plains, Jacky Suen, came along & had some rallies with me. Man, he's really really good (his talent later affirmed by his significant other, Noelle). He controlled a large part of our rallies, sending me left & right at will & I had to move a lot to keep up with him. He's better than me! Wow, if the participants at the church tournament play ping pong like Jacky, then I don't think I will go very far in that tournament. I complimented Jacky on his ability, but he was pretty modest about it. I stopped playing just before Sandra arrived (exhausted, especially by Jacky S's rallies), so she played with other people.

Later, I got hold of a copy of that Sunday's CCCB Coopers Plains weekly bulletin. The last page provided more details about the table tennis tournament. It will be held on 14 July (Sat) & 15 July (Sun). And apparently, the challenge was issued by CCCB St Lucia during last weekend's church camp. Obviously, I wasn't the instigator, as I wasn't at church camp! Between now & the tournament, there will be weekly Sunday practice. Hah, we just rocked up to Coopers Plains not knowing that Sunday practice is "official". Well, now we know what to do every Sunday afternoons! I'm very definitely down for that tournament!!!

By next Sunday, Winston & Ivan C would be back from overseas - in fact, Ivan might be back in Brisbane already as I write? Dunno...Anyway, I'll try to drag them along to ping pong next week. I'm sure Winston will be up for it. Hopefully, Yuan will be free next Sunday, too. Anyone else keen to come along??

No comments: