Monday, January 26, 2009

Year of the Ox, Happy Chinese New Year!

Behold, today marks the Chinese Year of the Ox! Hooray! Gong hei fatt choy!! Firecrackers. Lanterns. Decorations. Red packets. Chinese goodies. Wow......
All of these things will be absent from my Chinese New Year itinerary. Why? Because we "only" live in Brisbane. Over here, we don't celebrate Chinese New Year on quite the same scale as they would in Asian countries (or at least, those Asian countries with a sizeable ethnic Chinese population). Nothing grand or elaborate over here. That, plus the fact that I'm too old to be playing firecrackers & running around collecting red packets. I'm not a kid anymore - or at least, I no longer look like one. The Chinatown in Brisbane would probably be doing something to mark Chinese New Year - but I won't be there. Instead, we will probably be having a Chinese New Year family dinner at home. It's pretty low key, family stuff. The same old, same old thing we do each year....

Anyways, to all my Chinese friends, happy Chinese New Year! May your year be a happy & prosperous one!



No comments: