Saturday, January 31, 2009

Nadal v Verdasco - what a match!

Rafael Nadal v Fernando Verdasco. The occasion - semi-final of the Australian Open 2009, in Melbourne. I managed to see most of the match. It's an all-Spanish semi-final. And what an epic encounter it was. This must be one of the best tennis matches I've ever seen! Both players really took tennis to new heights & the spectators must have got more than value for money. It was intense, end-to-end stuff. The skill level & ability on display was extremely high. It had it all - fantastic rallies, marvellous winners, powerful returns. What a shame someone had to lose.

The match turned out to be the longest in Australian Open history - it went on for 5 hours & 14 minutes. Nadal ended up winning 6–7(4), 6–4, 7–6(2), 6–7(1), 6–4. I don't know how both players have that kind of stamina to go that distance. But they did. I was up the whole night watching both players serve up a feast of high class tennis. Well, almost the whole night - I think I might have fallen asleep somewhere along the way. What a shame someone had to lose this match. In this case, Verdasco lost, & I do feel sorry for him - but he should really be proud for his efforts in taking Nadal all the way. Nadal may have won, but the real winner is tennis - & the fans who were lucky enough to watch this match.



No comments: