Sunday, January 11, 2009

My overseas trip (Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei)

Just got back from my overseas trip a couple of days ago. I was away for almost 3 weeks - most of which was spent in Klang Valley (i.e. KL & the surrounding metropolitan areas), but I also spent some time in Singapore & very briefly Brunei. It was one heck of a vacation. Fantastic, memorable, & unforgettable.

The main highlight was my brother's wedding celebration near the end of last month (see the next 2 blog posts). It was a grand day for the families & friends of both bride & bridegroom. Personally, it is a day I will savour forever. And it made the overseas trip such a memorable one! Praise the Lord for that!

Besides my brother's wedding, there were also other things of note from the trip:

- The people I came to visit; I enjoyed the catching up with relatives & friends - the chats & laughs, etc.
- Making some new friends from the Lai cousins' church, e.g. Frederick Tan who supports Man Utd. There's also Emerick & his brother Adriel, who supports Real Madrid, & I gave him a bit of "grief" when reminding him of Barcelona's recent 2-0 win over Madrid in December's El Clasico).
- Lots of Malays in Malaysia.
- Being woken up by cousin's "Sponge Bob Square Pants" alarm ringtone almost every morning!
- Watching UEFA Champions League second round draw live from hotel in Brunei (which I stayed overnight en route to KL).
- Watching "Transformers The Movie" on the bus trip from KL to Singapore.
- New Year's Day fireworks in Singapore.
- Touching a live snake on Sentosa Island, Singapore.
- Visit to Singapore Zoo on New Year's evening (unfortunately, it was at night & unfortunately, I never got to see some wild animals that I was hoping to see like tiger & Nile crocodile).
- The mega-sized shopping malls in Klang Valley & Singapore, though some of the things are expensive. It seems everytime I visit Malaysia, new shopping malls sprout up.
- The shopping I did in shopping malls & street markets. (Andrew & Val say I bought a lot of things, but I would beg to differ!)
- Malays, Malays, & more Malays.
- The food!!

I could go on & on......but yeah, there were some really good memories which will remain with me forever :)

Anyway, on that last point above (food), of course, u can't go to Asia without sampling the wonderful food! Certainly, that applies to Malaysia & Singapore. I reckon I must have consumed ice kacang (my favourite dessert) at least 6 times during the 20 day trip. Anyway, here are pictures I took of some of the food I was fortunate enough to get to eat during this overseas trip:




AMW root beer & waffle




chicken & beef satay




dhosai with dhal & curry




forgot the exact name....i think it's Malay-style chicken with curry/chilli sauce (it goes with nasi kandar)




steamboat (in tom yum soup)




steamed fish




oar jien a.k.a. oyster omelette (in Singapore)




masala dhosai (in Singapore)




roti telur with fish curry (in Singapore)




Western breakfast (Grand Copthorne Hotel, Singapore)




oar jien (again - at same place hawker place in Singapore - it's so good i went back a second time!)




chee cheong fun (Cantonese steamed rice roll)




wu tau guo (Chinese yam cake)




mamak rojak/Indian rojak




kangkung (Malaysian vege) & clams




crabs




ice kacang (the tallest one i had on this trip!); on the right is steamed bun with curry puff filling




chwee kway a.k.a. pinyin (steamed rice cake)




banana leaf lunch




chicken rice & crispy skin pork




dinner at Chinese restaurant in Subang (too many dishes to name)




durian (very quintessentially Malaysian)




No comments: