Thursday, October 18, 2007

Status of my PC

Those of u who read my previous posts will note that my PC was "ruined" last Monday nite by the storm. It's currently in a computer store, in the process of being repaired & it should be ready sometime next week. The guy at the computer store said a number of PCs & laptops have been brought in to the store for repairs, due to the Monday storm. So my PC will be in good company!

There'll be a number of parts (including the motherboard) that will need replacing - not just the power supply as originally thought. That's why the repair cost will be more than initially anticipated. But oh well, such is life.

I did consider the possibility of getting a new PC - the computer store guy gave me quotes for repairing my PC & getting a new one. But I decided against buying new PC. I can afford getting one, but I didn't think I really need a new PC. Besides, there's a considerable difference between the cost of getting the new PC & the cost of repairing my existing PC. If we're talking about a couple of hundred dollars difference, then I won't mind going with the new PC. But the difference is a lot more than that. Sure, the new PC will have more features, more power, more this & more that. But do I really need all that stuff, & will I really be using all that stuff? No. So, there's no need to fork out more to get what I don't really need. So instead, I settled on repairing my existing PC. New PC can always wait another time, when it's really really necessary to get one.

As a thought, with the money saved by not buying new PC, I can add some more to that & get myself a laptop. Then, I will have 2 computers - my current PC & the laptop. But hey, that's just a thought. Getting a laptop is not top priority at the moment. I can think of other things I intend to get before getting a laptop. One big purchase in particular. Those who know me personally & have been paying attention to what I've been saying these last few months will know exactly what I'm talking about!

No comments: