Monday, June 4, 2007

Resisting the platinum invitation - again

The ICAA sent me another invitation to upgrade from my current CA Gold American Express (nil annual fee) to the Platinum American Express. It's exactly the same as the invitation I received a few months ago, & which I posted on - refer "Nice invitation, but I say no".

Only this time, there's an additional American Express brochure (which I don't think came previously). Now this brochure is intended to suck people in to take up the Platinum offer. One look at the brochure & u can tell this is the case. It starts with the heading in bold caps:

Some things in life just have to be experienced

More bold caps follow:

Live like a high-flyer - every day
Experience endless rewards
Shop with complete confidence
Get treated like a VIP
Empower yourself financially


In amongst those bold headings are lots & lots of explanations on how good the Platinum card is, what benefits it offers the card holder, & a few bright & glitzy pictures. I laughed when I see this. The ICAA & American Express (both of which are business partners) just don't give up, do they. They must be thinking like this: If people like DT don't sign up first time, let's send them another invitation.

Nice try. But for reasons previously posted, I won't be signing up for the Platinum AMEX anytime soon. Nevertheless, I can't help but feel a tad "privileged" to be considered for offers such as these.


This is what my current CA Gold Card looks like. The look's not that great. The "real" American Express Gold card looks much better, as it has a similar appearance to the Platinum one below, except that it's gold, of course.



This is the Platinum Card. Much better looking than the above card, it's got "eye candy", but it would set me back $295 in annual fee if I were to take up the offer.





No comments: