Wednesday, June 27, 2007

More thoughts on the Benoit thing

As various updates unfold on the circumstances surrounding the Benoit family deaths, a press conference held by the district attorney of Fayette County, Georgia confirmed that Chris Benoit had killed his wife & son. He then hanged himself. Terrible.

That is extremely sad & regrettable, that Benoit's wife & son should die in such tragic circumstances. As for Benoit, well, what can I say....why did he kill them? Hard to believe that he would do such a thing - he doesn't seem the type, but then I'm basing this on what I watch on WWE.

I have removed any references to "RIP Chris Benoit" on my previous post. I certainly do not condone what he did. Having said that, I personally prefer to remember the Benoit that I see on TV, the Benoit that is loved by fans & colleagues alike. Obviously, no one will know why he did what he did - he may have just snapped, I dunno. Police have not found any suicide note, or anything that may point to a motive behind the killings. All I can say is that the whole thing's just incomprehensibly tragic & senseless. My thoughts & prayers go to Benoit's family & friends - what a difficult time they must be going through, trying to comprehend the tragedy that's happened.

Here in Australia, I heard that RAW has been pulled from Fox & replaced with filler shows. The tribute to Chris Benoit (shown in the US) would not be shown here, & apparently it would not be shown in most other countries - not after what Benoit did. The usual RAW replays on Saturday afternoon will probably change as well. RAW will probably be back next week, & in light of Benoit's death, it looks like the "Vince McMahon death" storyline on RAW (where the WWE chairman entered his limousine a couple of weeks ago before it exploded) would be discontinued. It would be interesting to see how things transpire.

No comments: