Monday, March 5, 2007

Table tennis!

The highlight of the weekend, besides teaching Sunday School & having the usual after-church lunch with friends, was the table tennis on Sunday afternoon. If I recall correctly, it must have been almost 4 years since I last played the sport. A bunch of us Clayers (after having the after-church lunch together) went over to CCCB Coopers Plains church to get into table tennis. There were already 2 tables occupied by other churchgoers when we arrived. So we rolled a table to the other side of the hall & got straight into it.

We must have played for at least 3 hours. We mostly played doubles, but not before I handed close friend Ivan C a defeat in a singles match, although it was a close contest. The way we operate (in order that everyone gets a go) was that after each match, the winning team stayed on, while the losing team make way for new challengers to take on the winning team. I (or rather, my teams) did quite well, actually, because I stayed on at the table for quite a while. Finally, I allowed someone else to replace me in order to take a breath. I did return later to continue, & took a couple more breaks along the way.

I didn't play the whole evening undefeated - we did lose a couple of matches. I ended the evening by having a series of rallies with Winston, who's pretty good at giving the ball some spin. It was a most enjoyable Sunday afternoon/evening. The table tennis was really fun - I really loved it!! Overall, I felt that I can play well, although some inaccurate shots remain. Actually, everyone who came could play reasonably well. I know some Clayers could not make it for a variety of reasons, including the inter-church soccer that was also taking place at the same time elsewhere. Hopefully, the Sunday afternoon table tennis can be a regular event. Is anyone free next Sunday afternoon? :)

No comments: