Thursday, March 8, 2007

More heavyweights crash out

A few more results from the UEFA Champions League overnight saw 2 more heavyweights crash out - Arsenal & Real Madrid. Arsenal, the team whom Barcelona beat in last season's final, were surprisingly held 1-1 by Dutch side PSV Eindhoven in London, meaning they go out because they lost a fortnight ago in Holland. Real Madrid (who of course are Barcelona's sworn enemies) bombed out to Bayern Munich on the away goal's rule - the same fashion that Barcelona did the previous night. Meanwhile, Manchester Utd & AC Milan scored expected but narrow home wins to progress.

So, the teams through to the Champions League quarter-finals are: Liverpool, Chelsea, AS Roma, Valencia, PSV Eindhoven, Bayern Munich, Manchester Utd & AC Milan. That means I only got half of my predictions correct. Who do I want to win? I don't particularly care, but I'd prefer that Manchester United don't win it. Who do I think will win? Hmmm, despite the elimination of some big names, it's still difficult to pick a winner, as some strong teams are still in the competiton. But if pressed to name one, I'd pick Chelsea to win. Mourinho & his players will be super determined & super motivated to win, & I think they might just do it.



No comments: