Tuesday, June 9, 2009

WWE released Umaga!

Now, for something that made me very unhappy. The WWE has just released Umaga, the 350-pound Samoan Bulldozer who is related to Dwayne Johnson.

I'm in shock. And frankly, I just don't understand this decision. Why get rid of Umaga?? What has he done to deserve this?? Was it because of something he did behind the scenes which WWE are not making public? Was it because Umaga didn't want to sign a new deal with the company? Was it because the company had no plans for Umaga? Politics, maybe? The full details may emerge later. Heck, maybe it was Umaga who requested to leave the company. But for the moment, I am assuming that WWE was the one who made the decision to get rid of Umaga, & that is a very dumb decision. Umaga is a very talented wrestler, with some good in-ring moves, & I find him to be quite entertaining. Even though he is a "bad guy"/villain in the ring, I still go for him against pretty much anyone he fought, even though his opponents are the "good guys". Umaga is a better wrestler than most of the WWE roster - yet they let him go, while inferior wrestlers are allowed to remain in the company.

I don't like how WWE has treated Umaga over the past few weeks - they scripted him to lose to CM Punk, on the recent Smackdown show & on this weekend's pay-per-view show Extreme Rules. Maybe it's better that Umaga have nothing to do with WWE, if they treat him like that.

I hear some wrestling fans lamenting the fact that WWE is going downhill, saying that wrestling these days are not as good as they were in the Attitude Era of the 1990s & early 2000s. With some "funny" decisions made by WWE of late, the latest being Umaga's release, I can understand why those fans feel that way.

No comments: