Thursday, June 4, 2009

Recruitment agents - gotta "love" them

I've been out of work now since I got retrenched at the end of January 2009. In the current global financial crisis, many people would be in the same boat as me - laid off & looking to get back into the workforce. The thing, though, is that a lot of organisations are freezing their recruitment, so there is very little hiring activities out there at the moment.

Ok, so a recruitment agency recently got me an interview for a temporary contract position in the Brisbane CBD. The interview went well, & everything is set for me to start the contract role this week. Well, the recruitment agent recently called me & told me the start date will be postponed till next week. The postponement happened because of some last minute changes to the schedule of the managing director of the company that I would be based in. The managing director will be out of Brisbane until next week & I cannot start my role while he is away.

I got mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I'm happy that I still got some more free time for a few more days. Ok, I've already had free time for about 4 months now! But I consider that to be a "bad break" (because involuntarily unemployment, & no income). But it's nice to still have a bludge until next week. On the other hand, I will have to wait until next week before I start getting some income.

I know on this occasion, it doesn't seem to be the agent's fault that my start day has changed. But hey, this is yet another instance where a recruitment agent says something, then turns around the next time & says something different. Recruitment agents - u just got to "love" them. Hahahaha.

No comments: