Monday, September 1, 2008

Goodbye winter, hello spring

Winter is gone, for another year. And in some ways, I will miss the cold winter we've just had - felt like it was the coldest in many years. But anyway, we can always look forward to winter next year. And with how time flies (can't believe it's September already), that will arrive sooner than we think. But now, it's spring - first day of spring today. And it sort of feels like it too. So much so that I wore shorts to Southside Clay this evening, hosted by Ed & Edith (yes, if u haven't been paying attention, I now go to Southside Clay - switched over from St Lucia Clay at the start of the year).

This evening's Clay session was a dessert night. It was packed. Pretty much everyone (except for Nigel & Phuong) came. My brother BT came along with me, for a visit - he joked with the Clayers that he only came for the dessert. Most of us brought something to eat. I brought 2 Le Bon cheesecakes: chocolate bavarian & French cream.
Besides the dessert, this evening's Clay was also to decide on our next study. At last week's Clay which I missed, the Clayers had talked about which Old Testament book that Clay shall study next, & narrowed it down to 3 books:

Ecclesiastes "Chasing after Meaning" by Bill & Terese Syrios (12 studies by A LifeGuide Bible Study)
Jonah "Warning Signs" by Andrew Reid (6 studies by Matthias Media)
Nehemiah "Renovator's Dream" by Phil Campbell & Greg Clarke (7 studies by Matthias Media)

The final decision was made this evening. Since no one had any burning desire to do anything else, we picked from 1 of the 3 above. We voted by a show of hands, & were asked to close our eyes before putting our hand up, so that our decision is not swayed by what others decide. By an overwhelming majority (which included me), we decided on Ecclesiastes. ^^

I'm happy with the choice of Ecclesiastes (once we finish this, we can always do Jonah & Nehemiah if we want). I look forward to the Ecclesiastes study. I've missed quite a bit of Clay this year (about 25-30%), & so I feel that I didn't get all that much out of the studies as I would have had with perfect attendance. I see the next study series as a chance to really "get my act together" & do something to improve my spiritual walk (I've been struggling for a while with my walk & relationship with God). I hope I will be able to attend every Clay study for the rest of this year.

Anyway, after deciding on Ecclesiastes, we spent some time praying (on various matters) & then had dessert & the usual chit chat with each other. Of the cheesecakes I brought, only the French cream was opened (& subsequently finished). That's because Wenny also brought a cheesecake (Sara Lee chocolate bavarian). There was so much food, that Ed & Edith got a couple of people to take some home.

It was a great night of fellowship, with Christian brothers & sisters having food & enjoying each other's company. And goodness, we were a loud bunch. We talked so loudly, that the place sounded like a Hong Kong fish market. But it's all good. I really love this bunch of people.


^^ Melina was at her classical best tonight with some funny one-liners which caused much laughter (ahhhh, Mel):
"Ecclesiastes? Yeah, I've heard about that book".
"Nah, I rather have one for myself".
(in response to whether she & Jay would be sharing a study book; Jay just shook his head)


2 comments:

island said...

hey, clay at st lucia just finished listening to 3 sermons on eclessiates which were preached at last year's "ENGAGE" conference for young working adults last year. if you guys want to listen to them, let me know and i can pass them to you. we bought them from kcc. they're really good sermons :)

Mr DT said...

Hello Island
Really, u all listened to Ecclesiastes sermons??? I will certainly raise it with the Southside Clayers & see what they say. Thanks for the offer :)