Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Thoughts & reflections on sermon/talk on Hebrews 13:1-7

As stated on my previous post, the visiting pastor from Singapore, Pastor Chris Chia, gave a talk/sermon on Hebrews 13:1-7 (or was it Hebrews 13:1-6? can't remember) during the Building Dedication ceremony.

The talk was really good, & I thought it was nice & appropriate given the occasion. Chris Chia was exhorting the audience, as people of CCCB, to adhere to the message of Hebrews 13:1-7. Thus we are to love each other as brothers, entertain & be hospitable even to those we don't know very well, emphatize with believers who are in prison, give honour to marriage, refrain from loving money, be content with what we have because God would never leave nor forsake His people, remember the leaders who taught us the Word of God (though this last point, I don't remember if he really dwell on in much depth). Anyway, I really liked the talk & the speaker's technique & style - he kept the talk simple & concise, yet there's real quality & substance in the content, with a dash of humour here & there.

For me, the big thing from the talk was refraining from the love of money & being content with what I possess. I remembered shifting in my seat (my friend might have noticed that, too) when he talked about those areas. Not only do I "love" money, but I also am not satisfied what what I got. Money is fine, says the speaker - after all, we do need it. But when we start loving money, then it becomes dangerous. And money (or the love of it) has increasingly become an issue for me. I may claim from time to time that I am not materialistic, yet the fact that money constantly occupies my mind suggests otherwise. You see, it's hard to not get sucked into all that when I'm constantly exposed to money & wealth every day - in my job, on the internet, in advertisements, etc etc. It's hard not to be greedy when you really desire your investments & savings to grow & grow - after all, that's a matter of you have your own best interests at heart. At one point, I was watching my investments daily like a hawk. That obsessive monitoring has died down, but mainly because I'm now focussed on another thing (which I won't reveal here).

Yes, I do give some money away (to Compassion, Open Doors, friends doing ministry training etc). That is fine. But I think the problem is in how I deal with or view the money left over after giving some away. I'm not content with that "left over money". I always "moan" that it's not enough, & believing that I need more, I crave for more. That's not being content with what I have. And that brings another area to question - trust. Do I trust God to look after all my needs? Whether I do is questionable, given the way I've been struggling with the love of money & being content. It suggests that I don't trust God enough to look after my needs - or, that I don't trust God enough to look after me the way I want.

It's really difficult to shake off these struggles, but I pray that God will help me be content with Him & love Him more & love worldly things less (things which do not last). I know it's wrong to be caught up with worldly things, but knowing what's right & doing what's right are 2 very different things for me - simply because of the way I am. Perhaps it's a good thing I got the chance to hear Chris Chia's talk - it's a big "wake up call". I seem to be one of those who need water thrown at my face. I'm sure I will get plenty more warnings in the future.


Hmmm, just looking at what's transpired above - eeek, I've ranted & raved long enough! Which might say something about the extent of my struggles.
Ai yah, perhaps I'd better sign off here.


No comments: