Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Homesick? Not really, to be honest…..

Our church (CCCB) hosted some Aboriginal visitors from Cherbourg during the weekend (CCCBers visited Cherbourg in previous 2 years; this year they visited us). And we had the visitors over for Sunday service. After the service, one of the Cherbourg ladies sang a song in front of the congregation. I didn’t catch the name of the song or the person who wrote it, but it’s about being “homesick”. “Home” in the context of the song referred to heaven, & therefore being “homesick” described the feeling of longing for & looking forward to going home to heaven. One of the lines of the song goes something like this: “Lord, I never feel this homesick before”. The lady sang it well (& I enjoyed it), & observers would believe that she is indeed “homesick”. She really sounded as if she want to go to heaven real soon!

All of that led me to ask myself : Do I feel “homesick”? Have I ever felt “homesick”? Answer: no & no. I don’t feel “homesick & I’ve never really been “homesick” before. It’s not because I don’t like heaven; of course not, far from that. Rather, it’s because I don’t think that much about heaven. I think so little about my future destination & my life is reflective of this. I’m too focused on the “here & now” struggles of this secular world, & get caught up in all sorts of things in life.

It’s been said that those believers who are conscious of their future destination live their lives fervently for the Lord, in preparation for life in that future destination. Actually, I don’t think those were the exact words, but u get the idea. Well, anyway, here I am, a believer who’s not totally conscious of or focused on my future destination (as I said, heaven’s not something I think much about) & who takes it (heaven) for granted. Perhaps this is not a happy thought for some of you believers. But that’s the truth, & it’s yet another item on my plate to think over. It would be good if I can find ways to invigorate me to think more about heaven & what changes I can do to prepare myself for “the next life”.


No comments: