Sunday, October 5, 2008

My money's going down :(

My investments & superannuation (also known in some countries as provident fund) are not in good shape at the moment. And I'm not happy about it.

My shares & managed funds at the end of September 2008 were only worth little over 80% of their value at the end of March 2008. Yeah, that's effectively a drop of almost 20% in that 6 month period. Fantastic. Arrrgggh!! To be fair, I knew that shares & managed funds have not been in spectacular form of late. For instance, if I recall correctly, my investments in Colonial First State went down by almost $940 during the March 2008 quarter. That was at a time when the stock market was not considered to be in a very bad shape. So if my Colonial First State investments went down by $940 during the first 3 months of the year, I would hate to imagine how much more it has fallen by the end of September 2008. And that is just 1 managed fund institution. I got quite a few more managed fund investments, & as already mentioned, they fell by almost 20% in the 6 months to 30/9/2008.

My super has not been performing much better. My super account balance at the end of June 2008 is about 10-15% lower than the balance at the end of December 2007. In the 6 months to June 2008, my super account has been getting the usual mandatory employer superannuation contribution. But all that money coming in was more than outweighed by the size of the negative earnings during the period. And then, there's the usual administration/management fee that gets deducted from the super balance. Of course, my managed funds also get slogged by management fees. All of them do.

My hard-earned money is going down the drain! Nnnnnooooooooo! Ggggrrrrrrrr! I am officially not a happy man :(



No comments: