Thursday, February 7, 2008

Year of the Rat, Happy Chinese New Year!!

Chinese New Year started today!!

To all my relatives, friends, loved ones, blog readers (especially those with Chinese ancestry), I wish a Happy Chinese New Year. Gong Xi Fa Cai (Mandarin)!! Kung Hei Fat Choi (Cantonese)!! It's the year of the Rat, & I can think of a few people in my extended family (including at least 3 cousins overseas) who are Rats.

Anyway, we had our family dinner yesterday (which was, of course, NY Eve). The food was yummy (especially the duck, & mussel in curry/chilli gravy), though for some unknown reason, I didn't exactly overstuff myself. It's small scale celebration. Nothing like how it is celebrated in Asia. Back when I lived in Malaysia (where the first few days of Chinese New Year is public holiday), our family & relatives would all come & stay in our grandparent's place. We cram ourselves! On the first day, we would gather all those red packets from parents, grandparents, aunties & uncles. We would then visit the houses of the other relatives, collect more red packets & eat eat eat! Also, me & my cousins would play fireworks & all that fancy stuff, including one of those small beans which pop when u throw them on the ground. Ahh, memories.....


Whoa, looks like I got kinda carried away with reminiscing what Chinese New Year was like in Malaysia. I always do this every Chinese New Year! Anyway, here's hoping that the year ahead will be a happy & prosperous one!


No comments: