Thursday, April 9, 2009

FC Barcelona 4 Bayern Munich 0

I woke up this morning to see a rampant Barcelona destroy German powerhouse Bayern Munich 4-0, in the UEFA Champions League quarter-final, first leg. They absolutely pulverised the German side, who I had expected to provide much stiffer resistance than they actually did. But from the moment Argentine sensation Leo Messi opened the scoring in the 10th minute, I knew Barcelona would win the match. It's just that I didn't expect the final score to be 4-0.

In fact, that was the scoreline at half-time. After Messi's goal, Barcelona continued the vibrant attacking football, attacking Bayern in waves. Their reward was to score 3 more goals (from Eto'o, another from Messi, & Henry) before the end of the first half. I think this might be the best & most devastating first-half display I've ever seen from Barca. As well as they played, I have to concede that Bayern were disappointing. Bayern coach Klinsmann must be under even more pressure after this result. But what a result! Barcelona completely outplayed & outclassed their opponent. How often does Bayern lose like that? Barca have now sent out an ominous warning to the rest of Europe.

Barcelona didn't score any further goals in the second half. They didn't have to, given the blowout from the first half. They just continued producing their entertaining football without as much urgency as the first-half, while Bayern reverted to a damage control exercise. The 4 goal lead must surely have sealed the quarter-final tie for Barca - I can't see Bayern getting much more than a 1 goal win in the return leg in Munich. I was all smiles watching the match from my TV. Not because I wanted them to hammer Bayern, but because the football Barca played was very entertaining & was of the highest order. On this display, Barca are unstoppable, & surely no one can stop them from going on to become champions of Europe. Hala Barca!!

Click here for the highlights (quality may not be the absolute best, though, but never mind):







No comments: