Wednesday, August 20, 2008

My last day at work

Today was my last day at work. I resigned exactly 3 weeks ago, & could have actually left last week as I only needed to have given 2 weeks notice. But due to the considerable workload, I offered to stay on for another week (such a nice person, aren't I?). Hence I depart today. I will be having tomorrow (Thursday) & Friday off before starting my new position next Monday, i.e. effectively, I will be having a 4 day weekend. And goodness, I think I need as much of all that "free time" as I can get (got a dental appointment tomorrow, too). It'll be a while before I have another such long weekend.

The new position I will be taking up is with a global/multi-national chartered accounting & business advisory firm. It has offices in all the major Australian cities. I'm excited with the challenges that await me, & the various opportunities for career progression & advancement that I can get at the new firm.

My last day today was fairly quiet, though I had lots of tidying up to do before my departure. By way of farewell gifts, my teammate gave me 3 bags of chocolates & a pack of Staedtler stick ice ballpoint pens, all in a gift bag. She got me the chocolates because she knows I like them, & I always tend to buy the snack-sized chocolates every morning from staff social club. She said the chocolates were meant to be my "survival pack" for the first few weeks at my new job. She got me the pack of pens because because I previously said (half-jokingly) that I wanted to get an orange pen for work. Well, the pack contained 5 different coloured pens, one of which is orange. There is also a pink pen.....wonder what I can do with that??!

We had a farewell team lunch at Kingsleys (just me & my team) - a treat for the whole team from my boss. I had a steak, a 400g middle aged rump, medium-rare. The lunch went for 2 hours. It was good. Then, to continue the farewell theme, we had a late afternoon tea in the board room with the whole firm (not just my team). My boss handed me a David Jones gift card & a farewell card signed by my colleagues.

Overall, I had a mized feeling with my leaving the firm. As mentioned, I feel excited with new position, but a little sad to be leaving my colleagues, some of whom I got along with very well. I will miss working with my teammates. I will also miss the laughs & banter with teammates & also some colleagues outside my team. Oh well, since I will still be based in the CBD, I can always catch up with some of them over lunch. But anyway, I'm looking forward to what lies ahead with my career. I hope the move goes well.





the gift bag (farewell gifts from a teammate)










what's inside the gift bag (the chocs are meant to be my "survival pack" for my first few weeks at my new job)









farewell gifts from work - David Jones gift card & signed farewell card






No comments: