Friday, August 8, 2008

Beijing Olympics about to begin

In a few moments time, the opening ceremony of the Beijing Olympics will start, to kick off the 2008 Summer Olympics. Millions of viewers worldwide will be tuning in, plus of course the 90,000+ spectators in the superb, modernistic "bird's nest" Beijing National Stadium. I do wonder what the Chinese organisers have in store for us all. I think they will give us a memorable ceremony. Oh well, we shall see, we shall see......

The Olympics will hopefully be a good one. I wouldn't say I will follow all the events particularly closely. But I'll try to catch whatever I can. Whatever they show on TV (be it swimming, diving, athletics, whatever the sport), if I happen to be free, I will watch. As a football fan, though, I'll definitely keep a keen eye on the football tournament. I hope Argentina's Olympic football team will win a second successive gold medal, & retain its Olympic crown that it won in Athens 4 years ago. The football tournament is largely restricted to under-23 players (i.e. players who this year turn 23 & under), with each team allowed 3 overage players. Winning the gold medal again will be extremely difficult for Argentina. Its arch-rivals, Brazil, are very very motivated to win its first football gold (yes, it's true, Brazil so far have not won Olympic gold at football). Other strong teams will also be lurking, like Italy, the Netherlands, & the strong challenge from Africa (Nigeria, Cameroon, Ivory Coast). It will be tough.


Another thing worth following is the US swimmerMichael Phelps, with the big question looming: can Phelps win 8 gold medals? There's been much hype as to whether he can achieve this feat. If he does, then he will have won the most gold medals at a single Olympics, therefore surpass the 7 gold medals achieved by fellow American swimmer Mark Spitz at the 1972 Munich Olympics.
Oh well, let the ceremony happen already & let the games begin!


No comments: