Monday, September 17, 2007

MTE Session 1 - Perfect People

Summary

Keith Birchley started by asking the question: What are Christians after - maturity or perfection? He referred to Bennett who suggested that the answer is both.

"Perfection" seems to be very close to James' heart. It is mentioned 7 times & the theme trickles right through the letter.
James talked about being perfected in holiness, having a heart being predisposed to living in God. The obligation for holiness remained; indeed, it is even intensified in the letter. God is more than mature; He is perfect. Perfection is more than just maturity. We are never told to be omnipotent or omniscient, but we are told to be holy, because we were made to be perfect. It is the essential character of our Holy God.

Birchley then referred to James 1:2-3 (the trials of life). He made several points:
  • The Bible passage encourages us to rejoice in trials. Experience pure joy, i.e. joy supremely (it is not joy at the expense of anything else, & it is not joy exclusively).
  • Consider it all joy when we experience trials, i.e. have a considered state of mind, & be like that at all times.
  • Joy when you encounter various trials ("when", not "if"). Be prepared spiritually. Be prepared for trials so they do not catch us off-guard.
  • The trials mentioned refers to all kinds of trials. It is not limited to Christian trials. On this, Birchley said we should be surprised by the absence of trials, rather than their presence.
  • James is not concerned with the trials in themselves, but rather our response to the trials.
In making his points, Birchley posed some challenging questions for the audience to ponder. Questions like:
Have we reached a place where we can have joy in the trials of life?
Have we reached the place where we can have a settled conviction to have joy in the trials of life?
Have we reached the place where we are not surprised much by life's trials?
Have we reached a stage where we expect testing rather than "grin & bear it"? Do we expect testing?

Birchley then introduced different "trial-processing" profiles that any person could fit in (I doubt I got every spelling below correct, but anyway, here it is):
  • #1 Raging revolutionary: The person who is quick to take offense, & lacks mature knowledge about realities of life.
  • #2 Pessimistic pattunglum: The person who regards every year as a bad year, completely loses it in terms of perspective & lose sight of joy.
  • #3 Naive ned: The person who is sucked in for the Xth amount of time, never learn from the same lesson, forgets or never comes to grips with life's realities.
  • #4 Active denial: The person who lives in quiet desperation; very private person, but can also be very sad & miserable; lacks an active, considered assessment of life.
  • #5 Stiff upper-lip: Stoic person, unemotional, lacking engagement of real issues.
  • #6 Grin & bear it: The person who picks any 1 of the emotions listed above, & bear it.
  • #7 Realistic survivor: The person who acknowledges the realities of life faced, & gets on with it.
Christian maturity is determined primarily by our response to trials. What is really important is what we have done with the trials God has given us. Do not run away from trials.

Reflection
  • It 's been a while since I had any really significant trials. I do come across trials every now & then, but they are not all that huge. Though I enjoy my present state of sheer comfort, I am not sure if that is helpful in preparing myself for trials when they do come. I hope I can remember the James passage to remain joyful when I encounter trials in the future.
  • With the "trial-processing" profiles, I can see myself fit a few of those, depending on my mood & the situation/circumstances I happen to be in. For example, if my mood is particularly bad, I would be #1. When I'm in better mood or more placid, then I see myself being #5 or #6. The ones I don't see myself fit in would be #3 & #7. I don't consider myself naive in the way described. And at the same time, I'm not a "realistic survivor" - I usually have a whinge when something goes wrong (which would probably make me #1), rather than immediately acknowledge that I just have to get on with things. If I don't whinge openly, I will sulk in silence & continue the negative disposition on things (shades of #2). Or I might deny that I have any problems (aka #4) & maybe try to portray the facade that "all is well" (like #5).
  • At this stage, I don't think I can answer any of Birchley's challenging questions in the affirmative. I mean, it's possible & quite easy for me right now to say: "Oh yes, I expect trials, I expect testing, I'll be right". But when the trials actually come, will I be able to be joyous, will I be able to be all those things? I can't say "yes" or "no" until the trials do come in the future. Then, it is hoped that I remember this talk & what the book of James has to say on how we believers ought to react to trials & tribulations.

No comments: