Monday, March 30, 2009

Plans to outlaw bikie gangs in Queensland

The current premier of our state of Queensland, Anna Bligh, recently retained her post after winning the state election. She might not be everyone's cup of tea - then again, one can say this for just about every politician in this world. For me personally, I cannot say whether she is much better or much worse than her main rival in the state election, Lawrence Springborg - they are a much of a muchness, really....

Like her or not, at least give her some credit for announcing plans to outlaw bikie gangs in Queensland. Laws to outlaw the bikie gangs will be introduced not immediately, but over time. I just heard this over the news a few minutes ago (my TV is still switched on as I type).

I think this is a good decision by Bligh, & I applaud her for taking this stand. I mean, look at the recent happenings at the Sydney Airport, where rival bikie gangs were seen fighting, leaving 1 person dead (I heard that the deceased is related to a member of those bikie gangs, though he is not actually a member of any of the gangs). The fighting took place in front of a lot of people at the airport. Some of those bystanders include children. It's appaling that children should have to witness such monstrosity, & it's appaling that members of the public should be put in a position where they might fear for their safety. The bikie gangs are a menace to society. They contribute nothing to civilisation. I mean, what do they actually do? Ride around with their big helmets & leather jackets, rob & steal from members of their public, beat people up. That's what they are good for. So good on Bligh for recognising the problem & taking a stand against them. Another possible good thing is that outlawing the bikie gangs could create more jobs, as more police personnel might be needed.

By the way, I want to make it clear that my "rant" above applies to criminal bikie gangs. They do not apply to legitimate, law-abiding motorcycle clubs - these can stay, I have absolutely no problems with them. I mean members of those motorcycle clubs come together for friendship & social purposes - that's absolutely fine. But criminal bikie gangs? Nope, no way.



No comments: